Sunday, August 3, 2014

The Great London Museum Crawl

Four days in London went by in the blink of an eye, but the start was a little rough...

A peaceful three hours of "sleep" on my overnight coach went by before we were jolted awake by the driver telling us to all get off the bus. We were shuffled in and out of two immigration offices, asked a bunch of pointless "interview" questions, and shuffled back into the bus. 10 minutes later, we were told to get off again to board the ferry (they told me the bus would go by tunnel! ughh), which was another two hours drifting in and out of consciousness.

We arrived in London two hours later than the expected time, meaning I missed my coach to Bath (a nearby historic city). Instead of booking another bus, I thought I'd give my dream city the time it deserves and set off exploring.

First stop was my most anticipated museum - the famous British Museum. However, it was hot, overcrowded, and pretty overwhelming/disorganized and I didn't really enjoy it.


Sad lion

My favorite museum in London turned out to be the VICTORIA & ALBERT MUSEUM, the largest decorative arts museum in the world. What does that mean? you may ask. Well, you've gotta see it to believe it. They literally had collections of all sorts, from statues to clothing to tapestries. I loved the variety, the fact that you could walk right up to the art pieces, and the air conditioning (hehe). The European casts room was a jaw-dropper - one massive room filled with plaster casts of medieval towers, sarcophagi, statues, and even cathedral gates. I liked the V&A so much I went back for a second day!


 Casts gallery, my favorite
 Bernini & Rodin
Theater & Performance gallery!

Tate Modern was also a pretty cool museum, especially for fans of modern art (obviously). The gallery was converted from a former train station, so it kinda gives it an edgy steampunk feel. The art was intriguing but I was too tired to give it a really good look, but I liked what I saw!




No comments:

Post a Comment